Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

This morning it was all I could do to yank myself out of bed. Through the open blinds I could see down our street. The street lamps shone bright, and the moon was in full dress. I rubbed my eyes miserably. It's always harder to get up, when outside looks like midnight. My head felt flat, and my body just wanted to lie down and die. If only I had another five hours to sleep.
I stumbled around the room until I hit the light switch. It shone with a sickly yellow glow. Before I lost my nerve and went back to bed, I hurriedly shrugged out of my PJ's and into fresh clothes. It was freeeeeeeeezing! I felt my heart sink lower. I'd have to go outside soon. The cold would kill me.
Slowly becoming more alert, I did my make-up and hair, then went downstairs. It was so dark! Pitch black!
I tripped over a chair. I tripped over a toy. I tripped over a potted plant, before I had light.
I sat down, then looked over the lid of my laptop, straight at a clock. I suddenly had a hunch, a nagging suspicion at the back of my mind, that something was . . . not right. It took a moment before my eyes would comprehend what the glowing green, digital display was trying to say.
The clock said 12:15 a.m.
It simply must be wrong, I thought.
But just to make sure I looked at another clock.
Hmm. Another clock. . . Oh dear.
It really was 12:15 a.m.
I went back to bed.

Now, on a darker note~
Those of you with delicate constitutions, I advise you to stop reading now. Go find another blog. One that won't traumatize you so completely. I myself bite my nails when I hear this word-

Spiders
They are my secret fear.
When they slink around with their spindly legs I have mini heart attacks.
Today there was a dead one in the bathtub. And foolish little me thought I'd wash it down the drain.
The instant a drop of water hit the head of that creepy crawly arachnid, legs seemed to shoot from its sides. It skittered up the wall of the tub like lightning. I snatched a roll of paper-towels and whacked and whacked that spider! It's remnants were safely disposed of in the toilet. But still, I don't know if I will ever use that bathtub again.

No comments:

Post a Comment